31 I beat you to it.
►beat somebody to it:
比某人抢先一步做了某事。
▷I was just about to open some wine but I see you’ve beaten me to it.
我刚想开瓶酒呢,看来你抢在我前头开了啊。
32 Jimmy stood me up last night.
►stand someone up:
放某人鸽子。爽约。
▷He stood up his date while he played basketball with the guys.
他因为和基友们打篮球,放了女朋友的鸽子。
33 All I want to do is zone out in front of the TV.
►zone out:
指让思想放空,对周遭事物浑然不觉。Zone是区域的意思,zone out相当于思想游离到另一个地方去了……
▷At the end of a long, stressful day, all I want to do is go home and zone out in front of the television.
经过漫长的压力山大的一天,我现在只想回家坐在电视机前发呆。
►in the zone:
相反的,in the zone就是指精力集中,精神状态极佳,尤指运动员、表演者的表现。
▷I love when I’m running on a nice day with my headphones on and I just get in the zone. I feel like I can keep running forever.
我喜欢天气好的时候戴上耳机去跑步,感觉精神状态特别好,好像能永远跑下去。
34 Without further ado, I would like to…
►without further ado [ə’du:]:
闲话少说;进入正题。Ado意思是忙乱、纷扰、麻烦……
▷And so, without further ado, let me introduce you to tonight’s speaker.
所以,闲话少说,下面就有请今晚的演讲嘉宾。
35 I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of him.
►haven’t seen the last of (something):
某事物消失了,但你觉得它还会卷土重来,就可以用这个表达。
▷We got rid of the ants in the kitchen, but I bet we haven’t seen the last of them.
我们把厨房里的蚂蚁都弄走了,不过我打赌它们还会出现的。
这是一个比较戏剧化的说法,所以常在电视里听到。比如反派被打败了,也许会有这样的台词:
▷You win this time, but you haven’t seen the last of me!
这次算你赢!但别以为我就会这么消失!灭哈哈哈……
36 It will come to me.
►it will come to someone:
会想起来的。忘了什么事的时候,可以说这句话。
▷It’ll come to you. The minute you stop trying to find it, it will find you.
你会想起来的。你不去费劲去找它的时候,它就会自动出现。
37 We went out of our way to please the visitor.
►go out of one’s way:
努力、费尽麻烦做某事。
▷I went out of my way to make sure they were comfortable.
我费尽心力确保他们能住得舒服。
▷We appreciate anything you can do, but don’t go out of your way.
你做的一切我们都很感激,但千万别太麻烦自己。
38 Hold on. Just hear me out first.
►hear someone out:
听某人说完他想说的,或者,倾听某一方的说法。
▷Let him talk! Hear him out! Listen to his side!
让他说!听他说完!看看他怎么说!
▷Hear out the witness. Don’t jump to conclusions.
我们要所有证人的证词都听一遍,不要武断下结论。
39 So do we have an agreement?
►do we have an agreement:
通常在商定一件事后说的话。对方同意了,就表示讨论的事情就这么定下了。
也可以说:
▷Do we have a deal?
那就这么定了?
▷Do we have an understanding?
我们都很明确对方的想法对吧?
40 Just a heads up.
►a heads up:
给某人提个醒,提前告知一声。“Heads up”说法来自体育运动,在扔球前,让对方抬头,别被砸着。后来广泛用于社交场合。
▷Just a heads up – we’re going to have to meet soon.
先跟你说一声,我们很快会见面的。
▷I wanted to give you a heads up that I’ll be sending you the revised form for your approval.
我想提前告诉你一下,我一会儿把修改好的表格发给你审核。
你们最爱的栏目又来了!课本上学不到的native口语第三弹!!