41 When’s it due?
►due:
通常指交作业、交账单的最后期限。
▷When is this paper due?
论文要什么时候交?
另外,如果due的对象是人,那么意思多半指预产期。
▷When are you due?
你啥时候生?
42 Well, what’s done is done!
►what’s done is done:|
无法改变的事情,只能将就了。文绉绉一点就是,覆水难收、木已成舟。
▷It’s too late to change it now. What’s done is done.
现在换已经来不及啦,认了吧。
43 Can you put me up for a few days?
►put someone up:
给某人提供临时住宿。
▷When my in-laws were here we put them up at the Four Seasons.
老婆家的亲戚来的时候,我们安排他们住四季酒店了。
44 I might take you up on that.
►take someone up on something:
接受某人的邀请,或接受某人提出的建议。
▷I took him up on his offer to take me out to dinner.
他邀我约会吃饭,我答应了。
也可以用这个表达来接受某人的打赌挑战。
▷He bet me twenty bucks that I couldn’t get a perfect score, and I took him up on it.
他赌20块我考不好,我决定跟他赌一把。
45 I’m keeping my options open.
►keep one’s options open:
等待中,尚未做决定。Option是选择、选项。
▷I want to keep my options open, so I didn’t sign the contract yet.
我想再等等看,所以还没签合同。
46 You might want to reconsider it.
►you might want to (do something):
建议某人做某事的礼貌说法。适用于各种场合,是对陌生人、同事或亲密的人都可以用的句法。
▷Babe, you might want to trim that beard…
亲爱的,你是不是该修修胡子啦……
▷You might want to spend more time studying and less time playing video games.
你应该多花些时间在学习上,少玩些游戏。
►类似地,告诫对方不要做某事,可以说,you don’t want to…
▷You don’t want to rush things.
不要操之过急。
47 We’ve just been catching up with each other.
►catch up with (someone):
朋友之间彼此了解近况。
▷It was so lovely catching up with you.
能和你聊聊近况真开心。
48 There is just no such thing as God.
►There is just no such thing as… :
某种情况是不存在的。
▷There’s no such thing as love. It’s just fantasy.
根本没有“爱情”这回事。不过是你的幻想而已。
49 I think you need to get your priorities straight.
►get one’s priorities straight:
分清主次。Priority [prai’ɔrəti],指优先考虑的事情。
▷Our top priority right now is making sure that everyone is OK.
我们目前的当务之急是确保每个人都无恙。
▷Amazing how fire exposes our priorities.
大火能暴露我们最在意的东西,真神奇。
50 To put it another way, I don’t like it.
►to put it another way:
换言之。Put,有表达的意思。
▷You’re still very young, Tom. To put it another way, you don’t have any idea about what you’re getting into.
汤姆,你还太年轻。换句话说,你不知道自己现在正陷入什么。
▷Well, that’s one way to put it.
好吧,也可以这么说。
▷The subject matter makes the painting a little, how shall I put it, undesirable for public display.
这幅画的主题有点……该怎么说呢,不大适合展览出来。